UT Dallas provides confidential help for students who have experienced sexual violence. Students may visit the Student Counseling Center (SSB 4.600) during business hours to schedule a sexual assault consultation or counseling appointment.
Your Privacy Is Important
Universities that receive federal Title IX funding now require many employees to report to campus authorities when they learn of a sexual assault. Student Counseling Center staff are exempt from mandatory reporting, so students who visit the center with sexual assault issues will have their confidentiality preserved.
Consultations are available for support and information, as a student decides what to do next after a recent assault.
Students who inform us that they have been sexually assaulted within the last two weeks will be seen promptly for a crisis consultation. Appointments for other assault consultations will be scheduled within a week of contact.
Counseling is available to help survivors work through any feelings they may have following a sexual assault. Counseling for all assaults will follow the SCC procedure to be scheduled for the next available appointment. For more information, call 972 883-2575.
Emergency After Hours
For sexual assault emergencies after business hours, please call the 24-hour rape crisis hotline at 972-641-7273. You will be connected with a sexual assault advocate from the Dallas Area Rape Crisis Center. If you are in Collin County, you may choose to call the Turning Point hotline at 800-886-RAPE.
If you are in danger or need immediate medical attention, call 911.
If the sexual assault has occurred within the last 96 hours, students may choose to go to a hospital emergency room to receive a Sexual Assault Forensic Exam (SAFE). The exam is free and is performed by a specially trained nurse. A police report is not required in order to receive the exam, but the results will be kept in a safe place for possible future use.
Hospitals (students should check in at the emergency room)
- Texas Health Presbyterian-Dallas — SAFE Suite
8200 Walnut Hill Ln, Dallas, 75231
- Texas Health Presbyterian-Plano — SERENITY Suite
6200 W. Parker Rd, Plano, 75093
- Parkland Hospital
4900 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, 75235
- Methodist Dallas Medical Center
1441 N. Beckley Ave, Dallas, 75203
To Make A Report
Counselors in the Student Counseling Center encourage students who have been sexually assaulted to report the event to University authorities, but it is not required.
- To report to the UT Dallas Police: 972-883-2222 (911 in case of an emergency)
- To report off campus assaults, call local law enforcement: 911
- To report sexual misconduct to the University: 972-883-2218, James Dockery, Title IX Coordinator, or Marco Mendoza, Deputy Title IX Coordinator*
* Students who have been sexually assaulted have rights under the Title IX Act. UT Dallas does not tolerate sexual violence and works to hold violators accountable. Contact the Title IX Coordinator to discuss concerns or file a complaint. See utdallas.edu/titleIX for more information. To view UT Dallas' Prohibited Discrimination and Sexual Harassment/Sexual Assault policy, visit policy.utdallas.edu/utdbp3102.
- Safe-Walk Campus Escorts: 972-883-2332
- Dean of Students Office (change residence/classes if safety concern): 972-883-6391
- Galerstein Women's Center (counseling): 972-883-6555
- Student Health Center (minor medical, pregnancy/STI testing): 972 883-2747
- Comet Voice: Bystander Intervention
- Parkland Hospital Victim Intervention Program 24-hour hotline: 214-590-0430
- Texas Association Against Sexual Assault (TAASA): 512-474-7190
- National Sexual Assault (RAINN) 24-hour hotline: 1-800-656-HOPE
- State of Texas Crime Victims' Compensation: 1-800-983-9933
- National Center for Victims of Crime: 202-467-8700
- Legal Aid for Survivors of Sexual Assault (LASSA): 1-844 303-SAFE (7233)
We're Here To Help
If you have experienced sexual violence, it is not your fault. We are here to listen to you in a safe, non-judgmental environment, and we can help you find the resources you need to heal.
The following services are available at the Student Counseling Center: