[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Who is eligible for counseling services?

The Student Counseling Center is available to UT Dallas students who are enrolled in the current semester.

Is there a charge for counseling services?

No. Services are offered at no charge to currently enrolled students.

What services does the SCC offer?

All students interested are offered an initial evaluation at the SCC. Because of the high demand for our services and the needs of our students, we prioritize students receiving group and skills-based mental health services. These includes a variety of therapy groups, identity-based support groups, workshops geared towards coping with anxiety, depression, and relational issues, self-help tools, and one-time consultations with a counselor. We also offer psychiatry services, gender affirming services/support, sexual assault support, eating disorder assessments, and brief (up to 6) individual/couple counseling services.

What services is the SCC NOT able to provide?

As a way to ensure we can offer mental health support to ALL students, we cannot provide:

  • Long-term therapy (more than 6 sessions); if you are looking for long-term therapy though, we have a referral coordinator who can help you navigate the process of finding a therapist who is a good fit for you!
  • Disability & ADHD assessments
  • Court-mandated therapy
  • Letters of support for emotional support animals

How can I get immediate support for my mental health?

We hear you! Research shows it can take someone several years to even reach out, so we recognize in you reaching out, this could mean you have been struggling before just today. If you are in crisis and need to speak to a mental health professional immediately, please call our 24/7 counseling line at 972-UTD-TALK (972-883-8255) or text HOME to 741741. If you would like to have a one-time consultation with a mental health counselor (and not go through our intake process), feel free to sign up for Comet Chat HERE. If you need some tips, tools, or skills on all things mental health, check out our YouTube and Instagram.

Does the SCC offer services that are inclusive and safe for students who hold marginalized identities?

Yes, this is a priority and commitment. The SCC and its staff hold values and commitment grounded in diversity, social justice, and equity. We recognize and acknowledge the impact stereotypes, prejudice, discrimination, oppression, power and privilege, and are committed to creating a campus community that embraces and celebrates diversity in all its complexity. In our commitment to creating a safe, inclusive environment, you can expect us to be welcoming and affirming. We also offer may identity-based support spaces. You can learn more about them here under Support Groups.

Will my parents know if I am receiving services?

If you are 18 or older, your parents will not have access to your records, nor will the Student Counseling Center confirm or deny that you are a client. If you are under 18, you must get permission from your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) to receive services unless you meet specific criteria. Parent(s) or legal guardian(s) can have access to your records upon request until you turn 18.

Will my privacy be protected?

Laws and ethical guidelines require that all interactions with the Student Counseling Center, including content of your sessions, your records, scheduling of or attendance at appointments, and progress in counseling are confidential. No record of counseling is contained in any academic, educational or job placement file. While information will not be released to anyone outside the Student Counseling Center without your written permission, in order to provide you with the best possible treatment, we may confer with clinical professionals within the UT Dallas Student Counseling Center.

There are some exceptions to confidentiality. Specifically, we are legally required to disclose information to:

  • Protect you or someone else from imminent danger (suicide or homicide)
  • Report suspected abuse of minors, the elderly, or persons with disabilities
  • Respond to a court subpoena
  • If there is known or suspected sexual exploitation of a client by a past therapist

In any of these situations, your counselor would reveal only the information needed to resolve the immediate crisis or risk of danger. If your counselor believes you are in danger of hurting yourself or others, your counselor may contact appropriate medical and/or legal authorities.

How long do you keep my records on file?

As required by State law, the Student Counseling Center keeps client records on file for 7 years at which point they are destroyed.

What should I do in an emergency?

If you are having a mental health crisis, you may call the 972-UTD TALK (972-883-8255) 24 hours, 7 days a week to be connected to a Mental Health Professional over the phone. You also can go to your nearest emergency room or text HOME to 741741 for support via text.

How do I report troubling behavior of a student?

If you have concerns about another student and wish to report their behavior, you may contact the Dean of Students office at 972-883-6391 or fill out a Behavioral Assessment Intervention Team (BAIT) form HERE. If you are concerned about the safety of a student who lives on campus, please contact the UT Dallas Police Department at 972-883-2222 to have them perform a welfare check. If the student does not live on campus, you may contact their local police department. Per department policy, the Student Counseling Center is unable to perform welfare checks on students.

How do I make an initial appointment?

In order to sign up for services, we ask that you email us at [email protected].

What can I expect during my Initial Evaluation?

During your Initial Evaluation, you will share your presenting concerns and what brings you into the SCC. You also will be asked about your mental health history and family history. Based on this information, a counselor will recommend an individualized treatment plan that could include anything from groups, self-help tools, individual brief therapy, psychiatric services, a referral to a therapist in the community, and many more. In addition, our hope is in this session you can be provided some immediate coping tools to help you get some relief from whatever you may be experiencing.

Am I eligible to receive counseling services over the summer if I am not enrolled?

Yes, if you meet the following criteria:

  • Must have been enrolled in the spring semester
  • Will be enrolled in the fall semester
  • Pay a one-time medical services fee of $34.40

Do you offer counseling services for alumni?

Our services are reserved for currently enrolled students at UT Dallas. However, we do have a Referral Coordinator on staff who can provide alumni with referrals in the community if needed.

How can I access community referrals if I am not able to get into the center during working hours?

You can call 972-883-2575 or email Shelly Turner, Counseling referral coordinator at [email protected] to receive community resources that you can access. We also recommend looking on www.psychologytoday.com or www.zocdoc.com, as they are great referral sources!

How can I better understand my insurance benefits?

You can call 972-883-2575 or email Shelly Turner, Counseling referral coordinator at [email protected] for education on understanding your insurance and how to use it.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
[an error occurred while processing this directive]